October 31, 2012

Tag, I'm It! THe Next Big Thing Blog Hop

Elsie Chapman, my Random House sibling and fellow Lucky 13-er, and author of a book I am DYING to get my hands on this winter, DUALED, has tapped me to take part in a blog hop today with the theme, The Next Big Thing. We're supposed to answer ten questions about the next big thing that we're working on and then tag some other lovely writers to do the same. Since the big thing I'm working on right now is the sequel to my debut novel, THE SILO, I'll be answering all of these questions with both books in mind. Once you're done here, you should really stop by Elsie's blog because she has ALL KINDS of interesting stuff going on over there.


1) What is the working title of your book?
 
THE SILO is the title of book one and the sequel is VERY tentatively called THE COMMUNITY--but don't get comfortable with it since I am almost one hundred percent sure that I'll change it as I get closer to finishing.



2) Where did the idea come from for the book?

I was watching this show on TV about people who are prepping for the end of the world this year and all of the underground shelters that have been built recently--some very elaborate and expensive. It fascinated me that there were people out there willing to shell out millions of dollars for a luxury shelter because they were that convinced about the end of the world. It got me thinking about how people who are intelligent and well off could become convinced of something that seems sort of looney tunes to most us, so convinced that they'd pull away from regular society to prepare. The book really just grew from there.

3)What genre does your book fall under?
 
Strictly speaking, my book is a contemporary. Everything that happens could and in some instances has happned, but I do think that there is definitely a dystopian vibe to it because the community I'm writing about is self-contained and basically self-governed in a sense and it's own little world inside of our bigger one.



4) Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
 
I actually don't know. I google pics of regular type people for character inspiration. I might google something like: red haired boy or some such and pics of normal people will show up amongst the movie star ones. I'm more drawn to the regular pics. But for Pioneer, my cult leader...if pressed I'd say the actor who plays House, Hugh Laurie, most closely resembles him.



5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
 
THE SILO and it's sequel are about a girl who's grown up in an apocalyptic cult who has to decide what she believes in and what she's willing to do for those beliefs in the last few months leading up to what just might be the end of the world.


6)Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Both of my books are being published through Random House Children's and will come out in Fall 2013 and 2014 respectively.


7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
 
I don't know. The truth is that I never actually finish a draft until after the revisions are done. I save the last few chapters to write once the rest of the book is polished. So, to give some sort of an answer, I write a draft in 7 months, but at the end of seven months it's polished.



8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
 
Good question. I honestly don't know. I purposely avoided any books that were about cults to make sure that I didn't unconsciously borrow from them. But there is a movie that I watched shortly after I finished book one that has some similar elements---Martha Marcy May Marlene. Not a YA movie, but definitely has the same pyschological themes.



9) Who or What inspired you to write this book?

My need to understand why someone would chose to give up their freedom and ability to think critiquely to belong to a group. I am a control freak and I just don't get it. I think I'm closer to understanding it now, though.


10) What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
 
I think the fact that everything that happens in it could happen to contemporary teens. It's scary and creepy and terrible and heartbreaking in some senses and absolutely inspired by news stories from our past and from now.


Tag, now YOU'RE it!

I'm breaking the rules just a bit now since I was elbow deep in revisions the last few weeks and many of the people I reached out to tag (very last minute *hangs head*) were already tagged by someone else. SO, in leiu of tagging, I'm going to propose that  anyone reading this blog that's interested in taking part is officially tagged to take part in this hop next week. Just put your link in the comments and I'll edit this post to also put it up here. You will need to answer the ten questions above on your blog next Wednesday, November 7th and then tag five others to do the same for the Wednesday after.

And we have some players!!!

Check out these blogs next Wednesday:

Katie over at Breath of Books 

Rachel over at Rachel Writes Things
 

 

6 comments:

  1. I'd love to participate in this blog hop. Thanks for tagging all your blog readers.

    Here's my blog: http://breathofbooks.blogspot.com/

    Katie @ Breath of Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I participated a few weeks ago. Also, Amy your books sound awesome - can't wait to read 'em. You Random Penguin you ;)

    Here's my link: http://rachelwritesthings.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-next-big-thing-meme-tagged-by.html

    I also have a blogger award for you here: http://rachelwritesthings.blogspot.com/2012/10/super-sweet-blogger-award-oh-darn-my.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm putting you down and thanks for the blog award!

      Delete
  3. I srsly can't wait to read this :) It's absolutely those books where the premise really can happen in real life that are truly terrifying. I get the creeps just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always awes me when writer friends want to read my book:-)

      Delete