October 15, 2012

Anyone Up For NaNoWriMo?



I am just about done drafting the sequel to my book, THE SILO, which means time for new projects and trying new things. SO, I'm going to dip my toes in the NaNoWriMo water and see if I can bang out a fairly sucky first draft next month for a new idea I've been toying with. Have any of you attempted it before? If so, how did you do? I figure it's a good idea because I find that first draft phase to be the longest part of the process for me and I tend to write the first half of the book over and over again before I tackle the end. Now I'm wondering if maybe shaking up my process and forcing myself to write one entire draft without tinkering might help me in the long run go quicker. I'll probably still have to throw out quite a bit of what I write next month before I have anything workable, but who knows?

My Goals:

1. I'm going to try and be just slightly more ambitious than 50k, but only because I write full time and can devote more writing time per day...so unofficially my goal is 60k.

2. I'd like to complete the first draft of a sci fi piece that's a bit of a mash up of a YA Total Recall/Matrix and is a complete departure from what I've been writing recently. Time to challenge myself, I think and to cleanse my writing palate...too much time spent researching the inner workings of cults and fringe groups can mess with your head.

If you are going to sign up this year, I'd love it if you'd drop me a line about it in the comments and then if you wanna, :-) you can hop on over to the NaNoWriMo site and we can be writing buddies. I'm there under amychristinepar1 *Jumps up and down* Can't wait to get started!!!

13 comments:

  1. My first manuscript was a NaNo. I stopped at 57k a few days shy of Nov 30. All my 1st drafts since have taken less than a month so I know I could do NaNo. It's just unfortunate that whenever November rolls around, I'm already in the middle of editing something else and can't stop!

    Good luck, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO SLOW usually that I'm kind of hoping that this'll make me quit tinkering as I go and just get the gist of things down. I am in awe of your speed, srsly.

      Delete
  2. Ooh good luck. I have never done it, but my sister is doing it this year. She and I are also doing writing challenges to keep us going. This week, it's 3-5k, new words. I kept the number slightly less ambitious this time, cause ya know, sometimes you get bit by a werecat. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on a very crazy 4k a day writing schedule for the past week and a half which is starting to make me FEEL like I've been bit by a werecat. SO close to being done on this one.

      Delete
  3. I'm thinking I will need to do NaNo just so I can finish this sequel. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, let me know and we can be buddies!

      Delete
  4. I think I'm jbakernyc on NaNoWriMo, but I forget. Revising, revising, revising for NaNoWriMo this year.

    The first time I did it a couple years ago was a wash. I peaked at 15k and stopped because I had an idea and nothing else. Last year I did a YA contemporary piece I knew how it began and ended and finished over 50k but I doubt this book will ever see the light of day. So I'm psyched to devote time to completely revising a work and actually meeting the deadline. I know it's not technically what NaNoWriMo is for but if Erin Morgenstern can write/revise "Night Circus" during NaNoWriMo perhaps that mojo and good luck will fall on me as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pantsing it for this! Just a general idea and some hope:-)

      Delete
    2. You've revised and written two books this year! That's a lot. You're absolutely entitled to take a spa month. ;-)

      Delete
  5. I'm so excited about this, Amy! And...nervous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gulp, I am pretty nervous too the closer it gets. Especially since for part of it I have to be revising Silo's sequel. Going to try my hand at multitasking...and Red BUlls.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. *grabs your hand* *prepares for a Thelma and Louise-type dive into the NanoWrimo fray*

      Delete