September 18, 2012

What My Writing Day Looks Like

I know that before I was able to write full time from home I was always fascinated by other writers who could and what their day might look like and I thought maybe you might be too. So, I figured that I might give you a glimpse of what my day looks like. Here goes:

6:30 ish-I aim to work out at this time....sometimes I make it...other times I hit the snooze. A LOT.

7:30-9:50-Get dressed, make kids' lunches, unload/load dishwasher, make my bed, check emails, make breakfast for the kids, fold a load of laundry, put a load away.

9:50-10:00-Twitter/internet time...when I'm writing I try to keep this to a quick look see until lunch time...but sometimes I fail and am still online a half hour later.

10:00-12:00-Writing time/banging my head on the computer/scribbling out words on my legal pad/angsting time. I try to keep this time sacred, BUT sometimes it's interrupted by sick kids or unforseen tasks like cleaning up cat puke.

12:00-12:30-Lunch/reading time. I dive into a book with my Lean Cuisine. I'm exciting aren't I?

12:30-2:30--type in/revise as I type what I wrote in the am (I draft initially on legal pads). If I'm lucky, I don't want to erase it all...if I'm not...I'm rewriting as I type, sometimes from scratch.Since I do this everyday you'd think that I would finish a novel extra quick...but no such luck. I am usually forced to throw out LARGE amounts of what I write before it gets good enough to keep.

2:30-3:30-Check internet, maybe blog if my brain's not fried. Run all errands like a crazy woman with ten tasks and only an hour to do them in.

3:30-pick up the kids from school so I can then: help with homework, make dinner, clean up dinner, give baths, blow dry hair (and with two girls this takes FOREVER), start dishwasher, check email, take the kids to their various extracurriculur type activities, read with kids, get everyone ready for bed. It's like a marathon of tasks until about 9pm

9ish: Hubby and I sit down to read/work a little more/watch an hour of television...between requests for water, heating pads, cool cloths for foreheads, etc.

I usually fall into bed about 11ish with a book and am out by midnight.


It's a pretty great schedule, I'll be the first to admit it. I'm a lucky, lucky girl. I still pinch myself just about daily. As you can see I'm still pretty non-busy...my first book isn't out yet and I haven't had any heavy revision sessions for it so far. I'm assuming that the above schedule will start to evolve into something a little more hectic and crazy once I get closer to my debut time and after I have multiple books to focus on at a time. I'll keep ya posted. 

1 comment:

  1. You are an early-riser morning person! Most of my friends who are parents are. I wish I was. Even at work it's hard for me to focus. I came in early (read: on time) today and am out of it. Brain works best after 10am. :-)

    ReplyDelete