April 13, 2011

New Story Love

I am right smack in the middle of starting my second novel and it is the best place to be! I had forgotten the excitement of fresh words and ideas. My first novel was in revision a long, long time-and probably will return there if it doesn't attract any agent interest. I had sort of forgotten what it was like to be at the stage where the bones of the story are connecting in my head and I have no clear picture of what kind of animal that they'll form by the end, just a ballpark idea of what species it might be. It's exciting and terrifying and exhilarating. It is like the very first stages of a love affair when the other person is irresistably attractive and more than a little bit mysterious. I can't stop thinking about it, I'm throwing myself into researching and everything about my day feels a little brighter. I'm convinced it's true love.

It is awesome.

I am probably enjoying it more this time, too. Last time I was so insecure about my own writing ability and sense of plot that I fretted more than I swooned. But this time I know I can do it because I've already done it once before. I can recognize this fleeting stage for what it is and I'm savoring it. Soon I'll misstep somewhere in the middle and sink into plotting and character quicksand. Then I will moan and wail and eat too much cookie dough icecream until some random line of thought snakes across the surface of my story sand like a thick vine, just strong enough to hold onto so I can pull myself out.

After that, I will have a brief period of renewed passion until I finish the rough draft. but the revising process will slowly leech that away until I am so numb to the power of my own words that I will start to doubt that I had love for the story in the first place.

SO I am enjoying this courtship period to the fullest because I know what's next and this, my friends, is the best part.

No comments:

Post a Comment